COVID-19 - Latest Update for Gateway Area Council
Gateway Scouting COVID19 Update - May 20, 2020
I hope that this note finds all of our Gateway Scouting families well and healthy and that everyone's family situations are still stable.
Some COVID19 related Scouting updates are below.
Scout Service Center/Scout Shop
- The Scout Service Center & Scout Shop will re-open to the public on Weds. May 27, 2020, at 9am. In the interest of safety for our youth members, families, Scouting volunteers, and staff, the following changes will be in place.
- We ask all visitors and staff at the Scout Service Center to maintain the minimum of 6’ social distancing and to NOT visit the Scout Service Center if they have a temperature or any signs of illness.
- All visitors need to wear a mask (a Scout is courteous).
- The Scout Shop will be open to one family at a time. We request that you wait outside for the family in front of you to depart before entering if you come in and see that there are other customers.
- Visitors are encouraged to schedule a meeting with the respective staff member they are doing business with. This would include Scout Shop orders.
- For those preferring not to interact with people at the Scout Service Center, there will be a tote in the entryway where items can either be picked up or dropped off.
Unit Level Meetings & Activities
Dens, Packs, Troops, Posts, and Crews are encouraged to make plans for Scouting activities with these considerations in mind:
- The recommendations of state, federal, and local health authorities should be followed. These include social distancing (6-foot separation) and the wearing of masks.
- Outdoor activities are preferable to indoor.
- If traveling to an activity find a way that youth could be brought by their own family to avoid congregating in vehicles.
- Please make sure that the parents of Scouts, your unit committee, and charter organization should be aware that your unit is participating in activities or meetings.
- Please remember that a Scout practices good citizenship.
BSA National COVID19 Updates
The BSA National COVID19 FAQ was updated on May 14, 2020 and includes some questions and answers on a variety of items including advancement updates and changes.
The FAQ can be found here: https://www.scouting.org/coronavirus/covid-19-faq/
We Are Here to Help
Although Scouting and some services may be different during this time period there have been many program impacts occurring during the last several months including online advancement challenges and virtual merit badges.
Zoom Pro accounts are available from the council for your unit to use to have secure and safe online meetings.
If you have questions or thoughts please contact a member of the Gateway Scouting team.
Thank you for your participation in Scouting as we continue to build our connected community of Scouting.