Klondike Derby 2023
- Leader guide attached below
- Registration closes on January 25th at midnight
- Early registration pricing ends on January 23rd
Location: Camp Decorah
Theme: Oregon Trail: All Roads Lead West
General Klondike Information:
The Klondike is a traditional patrol-based event. Patrol members must work together to navigate the course and compete in the challenges. Each "Dog Team" (so-called because Scouts act as Huskies), will be travel around camp with a sled built before the event. The sled must remain with the group at all times and will be used to carry any equipment they need for challenges.
A map/score sheet given to the acting Senior Patrol Leader at registration. The map guides the team over a field course to each challenge. The stations can be visited on any order you like, but if the station is backed up, instead of waiting try another station. A practical problem involving basic Scouting skills will be encountered at each stop. Depending on how well the team works out this problem, it will be awarded a number of points and have their score sheet marked and be off to the next station.
All patrols must attempt all stations. After the final station, the team is on the final stretch. Report to the registration station to have your score sheets checked and recorded. The skills that will be tested include First Aid, Orienteering, Lashing, Knot Tying, Team Skills, Fire Building, and Shelter Building.
After the stations have been completed, units will compete in a race using their sleds.
8:30-9:00 Check in
9:00 Opening Ceremony
9:00-12:00 Competition Round Robin
1:00-2:15 Competiton Round Robin
2:30-3:15 Sled Race
3:45 Awards and Wrap Up
- Build a sled with your troop or patrol
- Test your outdoor skills and compete in challenges as a team
- Troop leaders supervise challenge stations
- Stations include: Orienteering, First Aid, Knots and Lashings, Blind Tent Pitch, Fire Building, Two Man Saw, Snow Snake Throw, Snowshoe Race, Track Identification
- Register through facilities rentals if your unit wants to stay overnight in a lodge gatewayscouting.org/Rental
- Dates will be established in January for two Zoom Meetings- a logistics meeting for the volunteers, and an informational meeting for Patrol Leaders. Both will be recorded and posted for anyone not able to attend.
- More details and a leader's guide coming soon!
We will need help from units to cover leadership at stations. Two adults are needed at each station for the Derby to run smoothly. Volunteers running stations can attend at a discounted rate of $5 to cover food and the patch. Please contact Christopher Loyd at email@example.com and Laurel Hemmer at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to volunteer, or if you have any questions about the event.
Lunch will consist of beef stew and cornbread. Hot chocolate and coffee will be available in the dining hall throughout the day. Dinner will be available at 5:00pm for an additional $5 per person fee for any units that would like to stay. If any of your scouts have significant food alergies or needs, be advised they may need to bring a meal for lunch.
Sled design ideas:
|Klondike Derby SPL and Leader Guide||Download|