Membership in the Boy Scouts of America is for a period of one year, and each year we go through a process to renew the membership of not only the unit (Pack, Troop, Crew or Post) with the Chartered Organization, but also each youth member and adult leader. This process is called rechartering. Please click on the below links to access the Internet Rechartering User Guide as well as instructional videos for assisting you with any questions you may have while processing your Charter Renewal.
Steps to follow when processing your recharter are:
Ensure that the currently registered unit Key 3 leaders are correct in My.Scouting so they can e-approve member and charter renewals. This is essential and must be done as soon as possible since changes at this step can delay the subsequent steps. If the correct leaders are not listed contact Nikki or Morgan ASAP to get corrected.
- Delegate who in your unit will complete the ReCharter
- If you are familiar with the system, go ahead to the next steps! If you are not familiar with it and will need additional support please plan to attend one of the Open House nights or call/email to schedule an additional time with Nikki Burk or Morgan Hoff. Appointment preferred over walk-ins please. Sign up here for open house dates: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e48aaa829a4fcc16-recharter
- Check that all youth and adults who are currently active with the unit appear on your roster in my.scouting.org.
- Figure out who needs to be removed/added
- Any family that has told you they will not be continuing with the program-remove.
- If you haven’t seen/heard from family in a few months make a courtesy phone call to see if they would like to continue with the program in 2023 year.
- All that have been active- automatically renew them!
- Make sure all Adult Leaders are up to date on their Youth Protection Training- see attached Roster for expiration dates. If YPT is expiring in January or February, please have that Adult Leader complete the required training.
- You will not be able to submit your ReCharter to Nikki to approve without having all Adult Leaders up to date with YPT.
- Figure out who needs to be removed/added
- Complete and approve the on-line Unit Recharter process. This can be found by logging into Internet Advancement 2.0 and clicking on Recharter - Internet Recharter Log In
- Applications for any new adults must be uploaded into the charter renewal as well as their Youth Protection Training Certificate and Criminal Background Check Authorization. This includes any adult who is moving from a Tiger Parent or Lion Parent into a leadership position and those who have turned 18 and are moving from a youth position to an Assistant Scoutmaster position or that is being entered as a UP, VP or EP (Unit Participant, Venturing Participant or Exploring Participant). You will need to enter any adult who is on the charter as an AP or LP and moving into a leadership position or a youth moving into a new leader position or into a UP/VP or EP as New Adult and upload all required documents.
- To make this step easier have all Adults register/submit payment online prior to beginning your ReCharter and have Charted Org. Rep approve.
- Applications for any new youth must be uploaded into the charter renewal.
- Make sure that applications are filled out completely- Unit leadership is responsible for ensuring the application is filled out correctly before uploading.
- Confirm that all required information has been completed on the adult and youth applications before uploading the documents.
- Pay the 2023 BSA Registration fees and the Council Fees online through the Internet Recharter site. The preferred method to pay the recharter and council fee is via e-check/Credit Card or drop off a check to the council office.
- The Key 3 leaders will receive an email for a final digital approval signature. This must be completed in order to finalize the Charter Renewal.
If you have chosen to pay by E-Check, please be aware that an email will be sent to you with instructions for verifying two micro deposits. These micro deposits must be validated by you in order to complete the payment process. Your charter renewal will not complete the submittal process until the micro deposits are confirmed.
To ensure a timely process of your Charter Renewal, be sure your CURRENT key leadership (including the COR and IH) have established their My.Scouting accounts and are ready to make approvals of new members and the charter renewal application. This message is only being sent to the unit Key 3 listed in My.Scouting If your Scouting role has changed, please forward this message to the person who now has your former role.
Avoid the most common reasons a recharter cannot be processed
Missing Signed Criminal Background Check Approval Form
Missing or Expired Youth Protection Training
Missing Signatures (Applications, Background Checks)
Missing Key 3 Approval
Missing Adult Applications
Youth Turned 18 – Needs Youth Protection Training, Criminal Background Check, and Application
Membership Inventory Report
- My.scouting.org account and click on “MENU” on the top left of the page
- Scroll down then click on the unit and select “ROSTER”
- Select “EXPORT ROSTER” then click on “EXPORT TO CSV” and click on “CONFIRM”
- The exported roster file will show up in a pop up box click on it
- Save as an Excel file
Internet Charter Renewal 2.0
- View Recent Updates, Changes, and Enhancements
- Download the User Guide
- Review the FAQs
- Review the Internet Recharter Responses to Forum-Related Questions/Discussions helpdesk
- Review the Internet Recharter Video
URL: Internet Charter Renewal 2.0 - https://advancements.scouting.org