Wood Badge courses aim to make Scouters better leaders by teaching advanced leadership skills, and by creating a bond and commitment to the Scout movement.
In 1911, Baden-Powell took the first steps in training Scouting’s leaders by organizing a series of lectures. He made great strides in the years that followed, culminating in 1919 with the establishment of Wood Badge training.
The purpose of Wood Badge is to develop skilled leaders who can strengthen Scouting units in achieving the mission of the Boy Scouts of America.
Why would you want to go?
Stronger units - Make your Scouting unit and your sons’ and daughters’ units stronger
What and Why of Scouting - Go way beyond Basic Leader Training; gain a deeper understanding of what Scouting is and why we do it.
Experience - Experience and learn things that will stay with you in Scouting and the rest of your life. Build your skills in communication, conflict management and teaching methods
Fun - Have fun and meet interesting people; all during a course that rivals corporate level trainings
Other groups - Make your other groups, like work, church, even family, stronger
Wood Badge is here for you. This is not a Troop leader training but is designed for CubScout, and Venturing leaders as well. This course will help you better understand how all the Scouting programs tie together. It will provide you with many useful leadership tools to help enable our youth to have the best possible Scouting experience.
A Scouter must be:
- At least 18 years of age (including Venturing adult participant leaders)
- A registered BSA member of a Cub Scout Pack, ScoutsBSA Troop, Venturing Crew, District or Council
- Current in Youth Protection Training
- Considered trained by earning the trained patch for their Scouting position
Key Course Content
- Drive Vision, Mission and Values
- Know Thyself
- Communicate Effectively
- Include and Optimize Diverse Talent
- Learn to Listen, Listen to Learn
- Plan with a Bias for Action
- Develop Individuals and Teams
- Know the Territory
- Apply Interpersonal Savvy
- Manage Conversations
- Coach and Mentor
- Embrace and Lead Change
- Create a Culture “Train Them, Trust Them, Let Them Lead!”
- Inspire the Heart
Scholarships are available for those who have financial need.
- Fri-Sun Sept 16-18 & Sat-Sun Oct 8-9
- Camp Decorah
- Cost: $275 (meals & more included)
A non-refundable deposit of $50 will secure your enrollment. An early bird discount of $25.00 will apply if paid by July 15, 2022.
Registration closes Aug 15
A MINIMUM OF 30 PARTICIPANTS ARE NECESSARY TO RUN THIS COURSE
This course can accommodate 48 participants.
Cancellations accepted up to 7 days before the event with a full refund .
Cancellations after that date are non-refundable unless due to extreme circumstances. All refunds after this date must be requested in writing within one week of the event.